What is a VDX file?
Any drawing or chart created in Microsoft Visio, but saved in XML format have .VDX extension. A Visio drawing XML file is created in Visio software, which is developed by Microsoft. Microsoft Visio has the capability to generate visual documents that can be used in presentations and documents. The Visio drawing XML file contains the visual objects and metadata details of the visual elements. Text can also be added to these visual elements Vision drawing XML file. These Visio drawing XML files are integrated with XML-based formatting standards and image data encoding specifications that allow its content to be rendered and stored by the Microsoft Visio software in the VDX file format. These Visio drawing XML files are appended with the .vdx extension. Following are the applications that can open VDX file format.
- Microsoft Visio
- CS Odessa ConceptDraw PROJECT for MAC
Initially Visio was produced as a standalone product by Shapeware Corporation in 1992 by its version 1.0. Shapeware Corporation changed the name to Visio Corporation in 1995 to take advantage of the market recognition. Microsoft re-brands Vision in 2000 as Microsoft Office application. Visio for Enterprise Architects was introduced with Visual Studio .NET in 2003 and 2005. Visio 2007 was released on November 30, 2006. Ribbons were introduced in user interface by Microsoft Visio in 2010.
|1.0||Standard, Lite, Home|
|4.0, 4.1||Standard, Technical|
|4.5, 5.0||Standard, Professional, Technical|
|6.0 (2000)||Standard, Professional, Technical, Enterprise|
|10.0 (2002)||Standard, Professional|
|12.0 (2007)||Standard, Professional|
|14.0 (2010)||Standard, Professional. Premium|
|15.0 (2013)||Standard, Professional|
|16.0 (2016)||Standard, Professional|
|17.0 (2019)||Standard, Professional|
Visio File Formats
From 2013 visio has introduced a new file format .vsdx which is the replacement of two other file formats known as .vsd (Visio binary file format) and .vdx (Visio XML Drawing file format). .vsdx has increased the interoperability of the Visio files because now third-party software can also manipulate Visio files at a file format level. The new file format is supported on Visio Services in Microsoft SharePoint Server, and does not need any “intermediary” file format for publishing to SharePoint Server. There are several file types that comprise the visio with following extensions:
- .vsdx (Visio drawing)
- .vsdm (Visio macro-enabled drawing)
- .vssx (Visio stencil)
- .vssm (Visio macro-enabled stencil)
- .vstx (Visio template)
- .vstm (Visio macro-enabled template)
Microsoft Visio also supports Unified Modeling Language (UML) 2.4, Business Process Model and Notation 2.0. Furthermore, Visio also supports the publishing of both SharePoint 2010 and 2013 workflows. Visio has also the capability of making the diagrams dynamic by linking shapes with real time data. Teams of professionals can work together on the same diagram at the same time and they can also view the reviewer comments in both Visio and Visio Services. In addition if anyone don’t have Visio installed on their system, still they can view your diagrams through Office 365 or SharePoint.
Microsoft Visio Editions
- Microsoft Visio Standard: Standard edition is designed for individuals who wants strong diagramming platform which have populous set of in built stencils or templates. Individuals can simplify complex information into easy and simple diagrams. Microsoft Visio Standard contains templates for business, network diagrams, charts, flowcharts and various other multipurpose diagrams.
- Microsoft Visio Professional: Professional edition is built for individuals and teams who can simplify complex information through professional and versatile diagrams. Basic functionality includes Visio Standard 2013 but with additional and updated shapes, templates and styles with higher support for team work which includes working of various people working on the same diagram at the same time. Furthermore, Visio Professional 2016 has further added additional templates for business and engineering diagrams, process diagrams, maps and floor plans etc.
- Visio Pro for Office 365: This is a special edition of Visio 2016 and can be accessed through Office 365. It has the same functionalities as of MS Visio 2016 Professional.
Following are some basic features / benefits of MS Visio:
- With the help of professional diagramming tools, complexities are simplified
- Jump-start diagramming with modern, easy to use and simple shapes and intelligent templates
- Everything you need is available in one place through: ** Ribbon tabs ** Enhanced Shapes window ** New status bar
- Automatic drawing features and tools let you create and modify diagrams faster through: ** Quick Shapes Mini Toolbar ** Enhanced dynamic grid ** Enhanced dynamic grid ** Page Auto Size
- Related shapes are grouped together through containers and sub-process
- Ensure accuracy and consistency in diagrams using diagram validation
- Model SharePoint workflows in Visio, and then run and monitor them on SharePoint Server 2010
- Easily connect data to diagrams and link data to shapes
- Insert legends to clarify your data graphics
- Easily refresh data in diagrams manually or automatically
- Drill-down into detailed data when you need to
- Share interactive, refreshable, data-linked diagrams with others via their Web browsers
- Create interactive dashboards that combine Visio diagrams and other application services